Orcid ID 0000-0001-6763-310X
- Maron M., Brownlie S., Bull, J.W., Evans M.C., von Hase A., Quétier, F., Watson, J.E.M., Gordon, A. 2018. The many meanings of No Net Loss in environmental policy. Nature Sustainability. 1, 19–27. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-017-0007-7
- Evans, M.C., Davila, F., Toomey, A., Wyborn, C., 2017. Embrace complexity to improve conservation decision making. Nature Ecology & Evolution https://doi.org/10.1038/s41559-017-0345-x
- Reside AE, Beher J, Cosgrove AJ, Evans MC, Seabrook L, Silcock JL, Wenger AS, Maron M. 2017. Ecological consequences of land-clearing and policy reform in Queensland. Pacific Conservation Biology 23:219–230.
- Lindenmayer, D.B., Crane, M., Evans, M.C., Maron, M., Gibbons, P., Bekessy, S., Blanchard, W., 2017. The anatomy of a failed offset. Biological Conservation 210, Part A, 286–292. doi:10.1016/j.biocon.2017.04.022
- Evans MC. Deforestation in Australia: drivers, trends and policy responses. Pacific Conservation Biology 22:130–150.
- Evans, M.C., Tulloch, A.I.T., Law, E.A., Raiter, K.G., Possingham, H.P. & Wilson, K.A. 2016. Better planning outcomes requires clear consideration of costs, condition and conservation benefits, and access to the best available data: Reply to Gosper et al., 2016. Biological Conservation.
- Martin N, Evans MC, Rice JL, Lodhia S, Gibbons P. 2016. Using offsets to mitigate environmental impacts of major projects: A stakeholder analysis. Journal of Environmental Management, 179, 58–65.
- Maron M, Ives CD, Kujula H, Bull JW, Maseyk F, Bekessy S, Gordon A, Watson JEM, Lentini P, Gibbons P, Possingham HP, Hobbs RJ, Keith DA, Wintle BA, Evans MC. 2016. Taming a wicked problem: resolving controversies in biodiversity offsetting. BioScience 66:489–498.
- Gibbons P, Evans MC, Maron M, Gordon A, Le Roux, D, von Hase, A, Lindenmayer, DB and Possingham, HP. 2016. A loss-gain calculator for biodiversity offsets and the circumstances in which no net loss is feasible. Conservation Letters. doi: 10.1111/conl.12206
- Evans, M.C., Tulloch, A.I.T., Law, E., Raiter, K., Possingham, H.P., Wilson, K.A. 2015. Clear consideration of costs, condition and conservation benefits yield better conservation planning outcomes. Biological Conservation 191, 716-727 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2015.08.023
- Maron, M., Bull, J.W., Evans, M.C., Gordon, A., 2015. Locking in loss: baselines of decline in Australian biodiversity offset policies. Biological Conservation 192, 504-512. doi:10.1016/j.biocon.2015.05.017
- Evans, M.C., Carwardine, J., Fensham, R.J., Butler, D., Wilson, K.A., Possingham, H.P., Martin, T.G., 2015. Carbon farming in agricultural landscapes: assisted natural regeneration as a viable mechanism for restoring biodiversity and ecosystem services. Environmental Science & Policy 50, 114-129. doi:10.1016/j.envsci.2015.02.003
- Miller K, Dripps K, Trezise J, Kraus S, Evans MC, Gibbons P, Possingham HP, Maron M. 2015.
The Development of the Australian Environmental Offsets Policy: from Theory to Practice. Environmental Conservation. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S037689291400040X
- Tulloch, V.J.D., Possingham, H.P., Visconti, P., Halpern, B.S., Watson, J.E.M., Evans, M.C., Auerbach, N.A., Barnes, M., Beger, M., Chadès, I., Giakoumi, S., McDonald-Madden, E., Murray, N.J., Ringma, J. & Tulloch, A.I.T. 2015. Why do we map threats? Linking threat mapping with actions to make good decisions for biodiversity conservation. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. http://dx.doi.org/10.1890/140022
- Tulloch AI, Tulloch VI, Evans MC, Mills M. 2015. The Value of Using Feasibility Models in Systematic Conservation Planning to Predict Landholder Management Uptake.Conservation Biology.28(6):1462–1473 doi: 10.1111/cobi.12403
- Wilson KA, Evans MC, Di Marco M, Green DC, Boitani L, Possingham HP, Chiozza F, Rondinini C. 2011. Prioritizing conservation investments for mammal species globally. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 366:2670-2680. doi:10.1098/rstb.2011.0108
- Evans MC, Possingham HP, Wilson KA. 2011. Extinctions: conserve not collate. Nature 474(7351): 284-284. doi:10.1038/474284a
- Evans MC, Watson JEM, Fuller RA, Venter O, Bennett SC, Marsack PR, Possingham HP. 2011. The Spatial Distribution of Threats to Species in Australia. BioScience61: 281-289. doi: 10.1525/bio.2011.61.4.8
- Evans MC, Possingham HP, Wilson KA. 2011. What to do in the face of multiple threats? Incorporating dependencies within a return on investment framework for conservation. Diversity and Distributions.10.1111/j.1472-4642.2011.00747.x
- Taylor MFJ, Sattler PS,Evans MC, Fuller RA, Watson JEM, Possingham HP. 2011. What works for threatened species recovery? An empirical evaluation for Australia. Biodiversity and Conservation. doi:10.1007/s10531-010-9977-8
- Watson JEM,Evans MC, Carwardine J, Fuller RA, Joseph LN, Segan DB, Taylor MFJ, Fensham R, Possingham HP. 2011. The Capacity of Australia’s Protected-Area System to Represent Threatened Species. Conservation Biology. doi:10.1111/j.1523-1739.2010.01587.x
- Lo, A.Y., Pearson, L.J. & Evans, M.C. (eds). 2014. Opportunities for the Critical Decade: Enhancing well-being within Planetary Boundaries. Australia New Zealand Society for Ecological Economics 2013 Conference Proceedings. The University of Canberra and Australia New Zealand Society for Ecological Economics, Canberra, Australia.
- Evans MC. 2017. An evaluation of the interpretation and application of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act (EPBC Act) 1999 Environmental Offsets Policy. Report prepared for the Department of the Environment and Energy
- Maseyk FJF, Evans MC and Maron M. 2017. Guidance for deriving ‘Risk of Loss’ estimates when evaluating biodiversity offset proposals under the EPBC Act. Report to the National Environmental Science Programme Department of the Environment and Energy
- Nicol S, Evans M, Chadès I, Whitten S, Wolfe N, and Rough T. 2014. Developing a risk-based approach to environmental compliance and monitoring. CSIRO, Australia.
- Butler D.W., Halford J.J. and Evans M.C. 2014 Carbon farming and natural resource management in eastern Australia. Queensland Department of Science, Information Technology, Innovation and the Arts, Brisbane.
- Ritchie, E., Nimmo, D., Driscoll, D., Heard, G., Watson, J., Evans, M.C., Doherty, T., 2017. Australia’s species need an independent champion. The Conversation. http://theconversation.com/australias-species-need-an-independent-champion-83580
- Lindenmayer D., Maron M., Evans M.C., Gibbons P. 2017. The plan to protect wildlife displaced by the Hume Highway has failed. The Conversation, May 2017. URL: https://theconversation.com/the-plan-to-protect-wildlife-displaced-by-the-humehighway-has-failed-78087
- Reside A, Cosgrove A.J., Silcock J.L., Seabrook L., Evans M.C. 2017 Land clearing on the rise as legal ‘thinning’ proves far from clear-cut. The Conversation, June 2017. URL: https://theconversation.com/land-clearing-on-the-rise-as-legal-thinning-proves-far-from-clear-cut-79419
- Evans MC. 2016. Australia needs better policy to end the alarming increase in land clearing. The Conversation, August 2016 https://theconversation.com/australia-needs-better-policy-to-end-the-alarming-increase-in-land-clearing-63507
- Archibald, C and Evans MC. Is Pokémon GO a blessing or a curse for wildlife conservation? UQ Small Change Blog https://small-change.uq.edu.au/blog/2016/07/pok%C3%A9mon-go-blessing-or-curse-wildlife-conservation
- Evans MC. Queensland moves to control land clearing: other states need to follow. The Conversation, May 2016 https://theconversation.com/queensland-moves-to-control-land-clearing-other-states-need-to-follow-58291
- Evans MC, Pulsford S, Foster C. 2015. Lifting the lid on unconscious bias and gender equity http://ceed.edu.au/ceed-news/ceed-news-stories/306-news-gender-equity.html
- Evans MC. Science Leadership Training Not Just For Professors http://ceedleaders.weebly.com/blog/science-leadership-training-not-just-for-professors
- Evans MC. Offsetting in the context of policy: what happens to the theory when it hits the real world? August 2015 http://decision-point.com.au/?article=offsetting-in-the-context-of-policy
- Evans MC, Renwick A, Carwardine J, Martin T. 2015. Farming carbon can be a win for wildlife, if the price is right. The Conversation, April 2015. https://theconversation.com/farming-carbon-can-be-a-win-for-wildlife-if-the-price-is-right-40088
- Evans MC and Maron M. 2013. Can we offset biodiversity losses? The Conversation, May 2013. http://theconversation.com/can-we-offset-biodiversity-losses-13805
- Evans MC. 2012. Wrestling with The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity: Reflections on the TEEB Conference. Decision Point 60, June 2012 http://www.decision-point.com.au/images/DPoint_files/DPoint_60/dpoint_60.pdf
- Evans MC. 2011. No refuge: When a ‘protected area’ is not really protected. The Conversation, September 2011 http://theconversation.edu.au/no-refuge-when-a-protected-area-is-not-really-protected-3363
- Evans MC. 2011. Know Thy Threat: Managing for multiple threats. Decision Point 50, June 2011, http://ceed.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/DPoint_50.pdf and com
- Evans MC, Maron M. Lost in translation? Navigating complex policy processes to deliver conservation outcomes. International Congress for Conservation Biology (ICCB) 2017, Cartagena, Columbia. July 23-27th 2017.
- Evans MC, Benham C, Marshall N. Understanding the human dimensions of environmental problems: connecting the dots through interdisciplinary research. Society for Conservation Biology – Oceania Conference, Brisbane, 6-9th July 2016.
Conference Presentations and Invited Seminars
* = invited speaker
- * Evans MC. Biodiversity offsetting in Australia: getting the policy settings right. Conservation in Action Conference 2018, Bathurst NSW, 16-17 May 2018.
- Evans MC, Hemming V, Maron M. Using expert elicitation to improve biodiversity offsetting. TSR Hub Showcase, Adelaide, South Australia, 6 April 2018.
- Evans MC, Hemming V, Maron M. Using expert elicitation to improve biodiversity offsetting. NRM Science Conference, Adelaide, South Australia, 3-5 April 2018.
- * Evans MC. Enabling strategic offsetting in Australia: lessons from current policy and practice. Symposium: Putting ecology to work at the land development frontier Ecological Society of Australia Conference, Hunter Valley NSW, 26 November – 1 December 2017.
- Evans MC, Hemming V, Maron M. Using expert elicitation to improve biodiversity offsetting. TSR Hub Showcase, Melbourne Victoria, 21 November 2017.
- *Evans MC. Opportunities and risks in the implementation of biodiversity offset policy in Australia. 15th September, School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, The University of Queensland.
- *Evans MC. Public policy for biodiversity conservation: evaluating outcomes, opportunities and risks. 4th May, Fenner School of Environment and Society Public Seminar, Australian National University.
- Evans MC. 2017. Understanding the governance of biodiversity offsetting: information, institutions and politics. International Congress for Conservation Biology (ICCB) 2017, Cartagena, Columbia. July 2017.
- Evans MC. 2016. Stakeholder perceptions of the efficacy of biodiversity offset policy in Australia. Ecological Society of Australia Conference, Fremantle, 28th – 1st December 2016
- Evans MC. 2016. Stakeholder perceptions of the efficacy of biodiversity offset policy in Australia. Society for Conservation Biology – Oceania Conference, Brisbane, 6-9th July 2016. Understanding the human dimensions of environmental problems: connecting the dots through interdisciplinary research.
- *Evans MC. 2016. Deforestation in Australia: drivers, trends and policy responses. Society for Conservation Biology – Oceania Conference, Brisbane, 6-9th July 2016. Conservation Oceania Style: Highlighting Oceania’s unique approaches to conservation biology and on ground outcomes.
- *Chiu G, Evans MC, Evans BJ, Macintosh AK, Gibbons P. Is no net loss possible? Evaluating policy instruments for reducing deforestation with a growing economy. The 26th Annual Conference of the International Environmetrics Society. Edinburgh, 18th-22nd July 2016
- *Evans MC. 2016. Stakeholder perceptions on the efficacy of biodiversity offset policy in Australia. EIANZ ACT – Forum on the EPBC Act 1999. Canberra, 8th March 2016
- *Evans MC. 2015. Applying a public policy lens to environmental decision making. 3rd Biannual Conference of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Environmental Decisions (CEED), 7-9 December, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia. One of five ECRs invited to present in the opening research showcase – ANU representative. Slides
- *Evans MC, Chiu G, Macintosh A, Gibbons P. 2015. Is no net loss possible? Evaluating policy instruments for reducing deforestation with a growing economy. Symposium: Conservation trade-offs in a resource-limited world. 27th International Congress for Conservation Biology, August 2-6 2015, Montpellier – France. Slides
- *Evans MC. An interdisciplinary approach to evaluating the outcomes of biodiversity offset policy. Biodiversity offsetting: challenges and solutions symposium. Ecological Society of Australia Conference, 3rd October 2014, Alice Springs, Australia.
- *Evans MC. 2014. An interdisciplinary approach to evaluating environmental policy: the case of biodiversity offsetting. North American Society for Conservation Biology Conference, 16th July 2014, Missoula, Montana USA.
- Evans MC, Maron M, Gibbons P, Possingham HP. 2013. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush: ecological time preference and biodiversity offsets. 28 November, Australia New Zealand Society for Ecological Economics (ANZSEE) Conference 2013
- Evans MC, Maron M, Gibbons P, Possingham HP. 2013. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush: ecological time preference and biodiversity offsets. 15th Annual BIOECON Conference, 18‐20 September 2013, Kings College Cambridge, England.
- Evans MC. Is no net loss possible? Evaluating policy instruments for reducing deforestation with a growing economy. ARC Centre of Excellence for Environmental Decisions (CEED) Conference, 3-6 September 2013, Brisbane.
- Evans MC, Carwardine J, Fensham R, Dwyer J, Butler D, Wilson KA, Possingham HP, Martin T. 2012. Native vegetation restoration to achieve carbon and biodiversity benefits in Queensland. Australia New Zealand Society for Ecological Economics. Bond University, Gold Coast, Australia.
- Evans MC, Carwardine J, Fensham R, Dwyer J, Butler D, Wilson KA, Possingham HP, Martin T. 2012. Native vegetation restoration to achieve carbon and biodiversity benefits in Queensland. The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity (TEEB) Conference. UFZ Leipzig, Germany.
- Evans MC, Wilson KA. 2011. Spatial prioritisation for improved management in the Great Western Woodlands, Western Australia. 25th International Congress for Conservation Biology, Auckland, New Zealand
- Evans MC. Portfolio theory and biodiversity conservation. 2011. Climate and conservation conflicts workshop, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Wilson KA, Evans MC, Di Marco M, Rondinini C, Boitani L, Chiozza F, Possingham HP & McBride MF. 2010. Prioritising conservation investments for mammal species globally. 24th International Congress for Conservation Biology, Edmonton, Canada
- Evans MC, Wells J, Lowe A, Possingham HP. 2006. Conservation genetics and spatial ecology of the rainforest