March 2013 – September 2016 (expected). Supervisors: Prof. Karen Hussey (primary), Prof. Stephen Dovers (chair), Dr. Stuart Whitten, Dr. Grace Chiu and A/Prof. Andrew Macintosh.
Thesis title: An interdisciplinary approach to evaluating the efficacy of biodiversity offset policies
Bachelor of Science – Honours (First Class): The University of Queensland
June 2008- May 2009. Supervisors: Prof. Hugh Possingham, A/Prof. James Watson and A/Prof. Richard Fuller
Thesis title: The Conservation of Australian Biological Diversity: Determining Threats and Actions Spatially.
Bachelor of Science (Ecology) and Bachelor of Arts (Mathematics – Extended major): The University of Queensland. February 2004 – June 2008. Overall grade point average: 6.3 (of a maximum 7).
Postdoctoral Research Fellow. NESP Threatened Species Recovery Hub, School of Geography, Planning and Environmental Management, The University of Queensland. June 2016 – current
Policy Intern. Australian Academy of Science, Canberra. (0.6 FTE). February – May 2016
Researcher: Department of the Environment, Australian Government: National Environmental Research Program (NERP) – Environmental Decisions Hub Research Placement (Biodiversity Markets). January 2013 – December 2013.
Research Officer: Fenner School of Environment and Society, Australian National University. July 2012 – February 2013. Supervisor: A/Prof. Phil Gibbons.
Senior Research Assistant: School of Biological Sciences, The University of Queensland. June 2009 – 2012. Supervisors: A/Prof. Kerrie Wilson and Prof. Hugh Possingham.
Research Assistant: School of Physical Sciences, Department of Mathematics, The University of Queensland. December 2007 – February 2008. Supervisor: Prof. Peter Adams
Tutor, Environmental Policy (ENVS3028), Semester 1, 2015: Fenner School of Environment and Society, Australian National University. Weekly tutorial group classes, essay marking.
Teaching evaluation score: 4.6 (out of 5):
Guest lecturer and tutor, Biodiversity Conservation (ENVS3039), Semester 1, 2013-2015: Fenner School of Environment and Society, Australian National University. Lecture on Introduction Systematic Conservation Planning, Practical lab class on reserve design using Marxan software, demonstrator for field trip on biodiversity offsetting
Guest lecturer, Biodiversity and Landscape Ecology (ENVS2003) – Protected Areas: Semester 1, 2014: Fenner School of Environment and Society, Australian National University
Tutor, Introduction to Marxan Course, School of Biological Sciences, The University of Queensland. November 2011.
Tutor and Supertutor for undergraduate mathematics and statistics tutorials: February 2006 – November 2009: The University of Queensland
Teaching evaluation scores (out of 5): Basic Mathematics (4.3), Theory & Practice in Science (4.42), Analysis of Scientific Data (4.5).
Awards, grants and scholarships
- ARC Centre of Excellence for Environmental Decisions (CEED) Workshop funding: The legal and institutional dimensions of biodiversity offsetting. $7,000 (2015)
- ARC Centre of Excellence for Environmental Decisions (CEED) Conservation Leadership Program (2014-15)
- Ecological Society of Australia Student Travel Grant: $500 (2014)
- ANU Vice-Chancellor’s HDR Travel Grant: $1,000 (2014)
- Wentworth Group Science Program Scholarship (2014)
- Australian Postgraduate Award (APA): $24,653 per annum (2013-2016)
- CSIRO Climate Adaptation Flagship Top-up Scholarship: $7,000 per annum + $4,000 per annum expenses + $6,000 for international conference (2013-2016)
- Australian Centre for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (ACEAS): Working Group funding for Spatial Prioritization for Conservation and Management: Integrating Vegetation Condition into Conservation Planning. Chief investigator KA Wilson $50,000 (2011-2012)
- WWF Australia and Telstra “Building Australia’s Safety Net” scholarship $5,000 (2008-2009)
- Best poster award, Faculty of Biological and Chemical Sciences Undergraduate Research Conference: Coral reef conservation planning with the use of surrogate taxa (2005)
- Dean’s Commendation of High Achievement. Semesters 1 and 2. Faculty of Biological and Chemical Sciences (2004-2007)
Training and short courses
- Institutions and institutional analysis workshop. Prof Daniel H Cole. 11th March 2016, Crawford School of Public Policy, Australian National University, Canberra.
- Methods in Conservation Social Science. Alia Dietsch and Angelique Hjarding. 2nd August 2015, Montpellier, France.
- Australian Consortium for Social & Political Research (ACSPRI). Qualitative Methodologies, Data Collection and Analytic Approaches. 6-10th July, 2015, University of Queensland, Brisbane.
- ARC Centre of Excellence for Environmental Decisions (CEED) Conservation Leadership Program. 3-7th November, 2014, Brisbane.
- Policy tools for Wicked Problems Masterclass: Crawford School of Public Policy Executive Course. Prof. Steve Hatfield-Dodds. 16th September 2014, Australian National University.
- Advances in conservation impact evaluation and causal inference. Prof. Paul J Ferraro. 12-13th July 2014, University of Montana, Missoula USA.
- An Introduction to Bayesian Analysis and Modelling of Spatio-temporal Data. Dr. Sujit Sahu. 29-30th May 2014, CSIRO Computational Informatics, Canberra.
- Working with R (Intermediate – Advanced). Prof. Bill Venables. 10-11th April 2014, Queensland Bioscience Precinct, St Lucia University of Queensland
- Wentworth Group Masterclass: Science, politics and public policy. 2-5th March 2014, Sydney
Service and other activities
|2015 –||Member of editorial board for Conservation Letters (Social media editor) and Conservation Biology (2016-)|
|2015 –||Member, Board of Directors of the Society for Conservation Biology, Oceania Section; and Member, Global Policy Committee of the Society for Conservation Biology, Oceania Section representative|
|2011 –||Reviewer for international journals (see Publons profile):
Conservation Biology, Conservation Letters, Biological Conservation, Diversity & Distributions, Ecological Economics, Ecological Indicators, Environmental Management, Environmental Science & Policy, Journal of Environmental Management, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Oryx, PLoS ONE, Environmental Management, Environmental Conservation
|2015||Staff liaison committee (with Dr Jack Pezzey and A/Prof Geoff Cary) for appointment of tenured C/D level Environmental Policy position at the Fenner School of Environment and Society, The Australian National University|
|2015||Facilitator (with A/Prof Geoff Cary and Dr Frank Mills) of three School Board meetings as part of internal review process of the Fenner School of Environment and Society, The Australian National University|
|2015||Mentor, ANU Women’s Department Women in Science Mentoring Network|
|2014||Co-organiser (with Dr Claire Foster and Stephanie Pulsford), Fenner Gender Equity in the Sciences Discussion Group|
|2014||HDR Retreat Student Coordinator, Fenner School of Environment and Society, The Australian National University|
|2013 –||Student Representative, Fenner School Board, the Australian National University|
|2013 – 2014||Secretary, Australia New Zealand Society for Ecological Economics|
|2013||Conference Organising Committee, Australia New Zealand Society for Ecological Economics|
|2012||Student Conference on Conservation Science – Australia 2013 Conference Organising Committee, Brisbane, Australia|
|2011 – 2012||Bulletin Editor & Council Member, Ecological Society of Australia|
|2010 – 2012||Secretary, Society for Conservation Biology Brisbane-UQ Chapter|
- Society for Conservation Biology (2009- )
- Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand (2016 – )
- IUCN Commission on Environmental, Economic and Social Policy (CEESP) and the IUCN Species Survival Commission (SSC) Sustainable Use and Livelihoods Specialist Group (SULi) (2013 – )
- Radio National interview: Queensland farmers protest proposed changes to tree clearing laws http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/queensland-farmers-protest-proposed-changes/7688754
- Clear consideration of costs, condition and conservation benefits yields better planning outcomes. http://ceed.edu.au/ceed-news/36-news-2015/73-ceed-news-wwway.html
- Assisted regeneration could make farmers money. ANU News. 17th March 2015 http://www.anu.edu.au/news/all-news/assisted-regeneration-could-make-farmers-money & Phys.Org http://phys.org/news/2015-03-regeneration-farmers-money.html
- ‘Irreplaceable’ homes of endangered animals mapped – but did they get it right? The Conversation. November 2013
- Can we offset biodiversity losses? Brisbane Times and SBS News Australia. May 2013
- Australia’s biodiversity under increasing threat from multiple fronts UQ News. April 2011.
- Discussing the reality of climate change UQ News. April 2010.
- Australia set for tidal wave of wildlife extinction: WWF. WWF-Australia. November 2008.